Ok so for reals I can blog now. Lol. Sorry guys got a really bad upper respiratory infection. So this blog will be about how I helped my immune system fight it off and make myself feel better.
So here we go. Home remedies that actually do kinda work and why:
1. Gargling with salt water, especially when slight symptoms first present themselves. Mix about 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon of salt into one 8 ounce glass of water than heat it until it's warm/hot but not scalding. Gargle repeatedly with the water and spit it out. Rinse repeat, literally. What does this do and why does it work? You're creating an iodine solution, and by heating it it helps remove the virus containing mucus in your throat. Additionally, the salt water is antiviral/antibacterial. So you kill all of the virus in your throat, removing some of your symptoms and helping your immune system fight it off. I've actually prevented colds by gargling with salt water the instant i had a semi scratchy throat. Gargle with salt water 2-3 times daily until symptoms disappear.
2. Nyquil, sudafed, advil, tylenol etc. Getting a minimum 8 hours of sleep keeps your immune system functioning optimally. The more sleep the better.
3. Tea with honey. The tea soothes the throat and breaks up mucus, the honey boosts your immune system.
4. Go outside. Sunlight boosts your immune system. Some houses also have too much carbon dioxide built up within them, which weakens your immune system and cognitive processes. Getting fresh air helps with this. I don't have any science to back me up, but I wonder if going into a heavily wooded area helps even more air-wise. Because you're surrounded by trees that 'exhale' oxygen rather than cars etc.
5. 5-10 minutes of exercise per day. If you do no more than 10 minutes of light exercise like walking every day, it boosts your immune system. Don't do more than that as it will weaken you instead!
So there ya go. All of these apply to pretty much any illness. Enjoy! :)